The history of this legendary castle goes back 800 years. For a long time, Kalmar Castle was an important fortification and known as the key to the kingdom because of its strategical location. The Swedish-Danish border was located only a short distance to the south, because Scania and Blekinge were Danish territories at the time.
Kalmar Castle was given its current design during the 16th century, when the Vasa kings Gustav, Erik XIV and Johan III rebuilt the medieval castle and made it into a Renaissance palace, furnished and decorated in continental fashion.
Even before then the castle had played an important role in Nordic politics, for example as the location for the signing of the Kalmar Union in 1397. This event was celebrated during the whole year of 1997, the union's 600th anniversary.